Weird article topic at first glance, no? I know FO’ SHIZ (completely age inappropriate choice of urban slang for ‘for sure’ but I love it anyway) that any work-from-home mum with a dog can relate. Is there a word we can invent for work-at-home mums? WORMS? WOMUMS? WAHMS? Let’s settle for: BUSY.
Each day I contemplate, as I am making school lunches and breakfasts and barking orders about swimming caps and library bags, ‘where can I fit the dog walk into this day?’ I’ve become quite adept at integrating it into everyday activities so we have a win-win. That’s dog=win; mum=win.
(we walk our large lab at off leash parks because he needs a good run – every day.)
- Pop dog into car for the morning school run, detour past the dog park on the way home even if its out of the way a bit. Don’t forget the detour past the cafe for a take-away mocha.
- In the spirit of daily exercise and getting a dose of fresh air, create an actual appointment in your calendar for 12:30pm where you will treat yourself to half an hour away from your desk! Take dog and go!
- Make a walking doggy date with another BUSY and kill two dogs with one stone.
- Pop dog into car for the end of day school run BUT ensure you put an icypole, donut, apple or other tasty treat selection in the back seat for your kids or they will completely reject the idea that they’ve gotta wait an extra 20 minutes for their after school snacks!
- Wait until your father gets home! Oh – oops, slipped into a bit of childhood terror there, lol! I mean: if you just can’t fit it in, leave it for the man of the house (if you don’t have one of those, hire one a couple of nights a week to walk your dog!)