First, start with a basic muffin mix for which you will need:
- 2 cups plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 cup milk
- 3 tbs vegetable oil
- Stir together all dry ingredients. In a separate bowl, combine egg, milk and oil. Make a well in the centre of your dry ingredients and pour in your egg mix.
- Mix batter quickly until just combined (don’t over-mix or beat). It should look thick and lumpy.
- Add one of the scrummy variations below!
- Spoon the mixture into 12 greased muffin pans and bake in preheated 200c oven for 25 minutes or until golden.
- Raspberry White Chocolate: Add 1 cup frozen raspberries and ½ cup white chocolate chips at step 3.
- Apple Cinnamon: Add one peeled and chopped apple, ½ teaspoon of cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg at step 3.
- Almond & Blueberry: Add 1 cup frozen blueberries and ½ cup slivered almonds at step 3.
- Cheese: Reduce the caster sugar to 1/3 cup and add 125g of grated cheese at step 3
- Triple Chocolate: Add 3 tablespoons of cocoa to the dry ingredients. Add 1 cup of mixed white, dark and milk chocolate chips at step 3.
Note: You may need to slightly increase the amount of milk in some of these variations if your batter is a bit thick.