Maybe you tend to cook more than you need come meal time (Is that enough? I dunno – let’s throw another handful of pasta in, just in case…) or maybe you have a particularly fussy household who often don’t finish their meals. Whatever the case I’m sure all of us are faced with leftovers quite frequently and I don’t know about you, but I hate seeing good food go to waste!
I’m always looking for nifty ways to create something from leftover food and if I can fool my family into thinking it’s a completely new meal – then all the better!
Here are a few tried and tested tricks that I’ve found work really well:
- Rice: Turn leftover cups of rice into fried rice by sautéing with a small amount of oil and adding chopped carrot, onion, peas and an egg. Stir through a small amount of soy sauce and voila!
- Vegies: Turn leftover vegies into scrummy vegie burgers/patties. Mash your leftover vegies (works particularly well with potato, pumpkin, peas and corn kernels), add an egg and a small amount of flour and mix well. Either fry with a small amount of oil or oven bake until heated through.
- Bread: Instead of throwing out stale bread, process into breadcrumbs and use to crumb chicken schnitzels, lamb chops or add to homemade hamburger mix. Fresh breadcrumbs can be frozen for up to three months.
- Meats: Almost any leftover meat can be turned into a tasty sandwich for lunch the next day. Slices of leftover chicken breast, roast lamb or beef, added to salad ingredients, a slice of cheese and a small amount of your favourite sauce = Yummo!
- Bananas: Old, soft bananas make THE BEST banana bread! Here’s a link to a great banana bread recipe: http://food.ninemsn.com.au/recipes/ibanana/8336571/best-ever-banana-bread