Now, I’m all for technology in the home and my kids are masters at the DVD player, iPhone, iPad etcetera, but sometimes it’s nice to be able to switch it all off and get back to basics. Hence our household is quite into board games as a way to relax and have fun together as a family. We have quite a collection, but here’s a selection of our favourites:
- Monopoly: Disney Pixar Edition – A fun take on the old classic, this version is great for the kids and includes characters from classic Disney movies including Finding Nemo, Toy Story, The Incredibles, Cars etc. Players race against each other to collect Disney movies to build their monopolies – using Disney money.
- Trivial Pursuit: Disney Family Edition – I’m sensing a theme here… Yes, our family does love a good Disney movie! Another version of an old classic with a Disney theme that covers Disney classics including Snow White, Mary Poppins, Peter Pan etc. This game keeps it fair with two sets of questions – harder versions for the adults, and a more basic set for children.
- Guess Who – A two player game that I remember from my childhood and now have a ball playing with my children. The idea is to ask each other questions about your chosen character in order to eliminate the wrong faces and guess who your opponent’s chosen card is.
- Giant Snakes and Ladders – A HUGE size playing board with large playing pieces, this is a great one for those times when your brain is just too frazzled to deal with anything that requires you to think too much about it!
- Pictionary Family – Another family/children based version of an old classic that works sort of like charades on paper. Working in teams, sketch clues to your teammates until they guess correct – but remember, you’re not allowed to speak!
Are you a closet board game fan? What are your favourites?