Toys all over the floor. Pencils and crayons all over the table. Clothes hanging all over the place. Junk on every surface. This is what happens to our homes when we have children!
One of my favourite stores at the moment is Store (just ask hubby – I have a slight *ahem* problem) and I’m always looking for funky and clever ways to store all our stuff.
Here’s a few handy tricks that I’ve learnt:
- Use Hampers. Every bedroom and bathroom in our house is equipped with a washing hampers. All children are encouraged to put their dirty clothes and towels in the hampers (and I must admit, they’ve needed less training than hubby!), so we don’t have dirty clothes and wet towels strewn all over the floor.
- Label It. Label all storage containers, boxes, shelves etc so that everyone in your household know where things belong and are more likely to put them back in the right spot.
- Pin/Magnetic Boards. I’ve eliminated paper clutter (unpaid bills, school notices etc) from my kitchen benches by hanging a magnetic board (you could also use a pinboard) inside my pantry door.
- Vacuum It. All of our out of season clothes are put in space saving vacuum bags and stored under beds. This saves a huge amount of space in wardrobes and makes it so much easier to pick an outfit if all you are looking at are clothes that are wearable at that point in time.
- Chuck It! I do a regular (usually once per season) clean out and I. Show. No. Mercy. Anything broken is thrown out. Anything that is no longer used / has been grown out of goes to charity or is listed on eBay. If it’s not used and is just taking up room and gathering dust, then get rid of it!
I’m always looking for clever ways to store items around my house, so if you have a funky storage solution please share!