Barbeque (BBQ) Rub
I saw this in a magazine at Christmas and whipped up a bunch of jars of it for gifts for the family. I got some little tea serving spoons from Tea Too (the orange plastic ones) and tied them to the side of the jars with the decorative ribbon.
To use the BBQ rub, tell your gift recipient to dig the spoon down into the jar to get a bit of everything on it, then spoon over any sort of meat and rub in. Fish, red meat, chicken. Then cook. It is delicious.
The ingredients we used which were delicious and also worked well together colour-wise are below. We got most of them from a local Iranian grocery store.
- Coffee (no, your eyes are not playing tricks on you, trust me)
- Sea Salt
- Chilli powder
- Brown sugar
- Dried thyme
- Garlic powder
- Black pepper
- Lay out your ingredients, with a spoon for each one.
- Carefully take a big spoonful of the first spice/herb and gently lower it into the jar, spreading it out gently.
- Take a spoonful of the next ingredient (try to choose a contrasting colour) and carefully layer it on top. You don’t want the ingredients to mix.
- Continue with the other layers, repeating some if necessary
- Seal the jar and cover with a piece of festive fabric and ribbon, or plain fabric and ribbon for birthdays. To add a little extra oomph, you can tie a little silver/plastic spoon to the ribbon to go with the jar.