If your computer still works but you have updated you might want to look at charities or learning centres near you to see if they are interested.
Or you could try
- Wesley Central Mission accept donations of working computers http://www.wesleymission.org.au/Centres/wesleyerecycling/donate.asp
- Clean Up Australia have a list of organisations who take computers for recycling or dismantling http://www.cleanup.org.au/PDF/au/electronic-recycler-list.pdf
- Try Googling Donate A Computer or Computer recycling. What will come up will vary from state to state, but there will be organisations like http://www.workventures.com.au/connectit/pc-disposal-service who have a PC disposal service that takes working computers and allocates them to people who need them such as flood and bushfire victims.
If the computer doesn’t work here are a couple of options:
- Recycle it via Planet Ark go to http://www.recyclingnearyou.com.au/ to find out a location near you
- Therapy – this may sound insane, but you can take your computer to your local tip or call your council for a hard rubbish collection HOWEVER make sure your data is safe by either using commercial file removal software – or even better dismantle your computer and SMASH the hard drive to pieces with a sledgehammer – believe me this REALLY IS THERAPEAUTIC!!!
Regardless of who you choose to dispose of your computer, make it your responsibility to use commercial software to wipe your hard drive clear of any personal or valuable information.