Take a look at web site www.damnyouautocorrect.com to see how many people have been caught out by the autocorrect or predictive text options on their mobile phone.
Here are 5 ways you can avoid embarrassing messages.
- Never text or email when you are tired, angry or sleep deprived – it’s like grocery shopping on an empty stomach…a recipe for disaster
- Do one thing at a time – it is hard to explain a black eye or broken nose when you walk into a lamp post because you were too busy texting to watch where you were walking
- It is OK to turn your phone off – the world won’t end if you turn your mobile off and actually be present with what you are doing.
- Set aside time to respond to text and email – they don’t have to be done right NOW…sometimes it’s better to contemplate what you actually want to say
- Re-read your text message…as the website shows, one simple slip of the digit and you can go from Disneyland to Divorce!
(cover photo by Quentin Jones, SMH)