A guest post from FiveHiver Kim Watkins
We recently took our three children on a holiday to Tasmania aboard the Spirit of Tasmania. We spent 2 nights at Cradle Mountain, 2 in Launceston, and a few in Hobart. We took the ferry to Tassie, because we decided it was much easier to drive our car on the ferry, rather than tackle the whole airport palava, and hire one at the airport when we arrived.
- do take the overnight ferry, the children will enjoy the experience so much and there’s a cinema for teens and adults, but eat before you board. The food is pretty average on the ship.
- don’t wait for seasickness , just dose everyone up first on anti nausea medication. The trip can get very very rough.
- contact the Tasmanian tourist bureau. www.discovertasmania.com for some excellent ideas on what to see.
- plan to stop for breakfast on arrival in Devonport at the Anvers chocolate factory. The kids woke up with coco pops with chocolate milk and a chocolate Freddo on top. So wrong but so memorable.
- if you are planning a school holiday getaway, remember September is still extremely cold, so rug up.