I’ve been exercising every day for about 3 years. I found that the best technique for me is to say that I don’t get a day off. Sometimes, of course – there are days when it doesn’t happen, like when I’m unwell. But, on the whole – I’ve found that simply by making the statement that ‘I exercise every day’ I am about 200 times more likely to do SOMETHING.
To be frank, 30% of why I walk is for my body… to keep fit. The other 70% is for my mind. I need the down time from the computer, from the kids, from the phones. I get most of my great ideas while walking – like FiveHive.com – I had the idea walking up Mayfair Avenue near my home.
The 5 things I’ll do to make SURE the exercise happens:
- At the end of each day, look in your calendar for the next day and decide exactly where your 45mins of exercise will go. Put it there.
- Before sleeping, lay out your exercise clothes including shoes, socks, sports bra. I can’t tell you the number of times I haven’t been able to find socks, so I’ve called the whole thing off. #lame!
- Carmex. You know the little yellow pot of medicated lip balm? This little wonder is an absolute TRICK. If you put it on before you set off, you will be super-surprised at how easy it is to exercise for another 20 minutes. It just keeps you more comfortable somehow!
- iPod. Your absolute favourite tracks of all time should be on that iPod on a special Exercise playlist. Call it your Pump Tape playlist or the Soundtrack to your Life or something fun! I also subscribe to lots of business podcasts and listen to those too.
- Regularly buy a new item of absolutely gorgeous, luxurious exercise gear. Runners in your favourite colour, Lululemon yoga pants [[update: I just clicked that link and found the image depressing! perfect bodies, perfect little yoga hot-shorts.. jeez Lululemon, no fair!]] .. whatever you love. Even if it is one thing every 3-4 months – let me tell you: if you’ve got a new thing you’re going to jump out of bed in the morning and love putting it to good use.
Variety is the key.
- I have many hills around my home, so I’ll walk or walk-with-the-occasional-sprint up those hills at least 2, sometimes 3 times in about 45 minutes.
- I will take a 600ml Pump water bottle with me and use it as a weight to do arm lifts while I am walking!
- There is a kids park on the route, so I ‘ll stop there about half way through and do some push ups, tricep dips and pilates stretches of the calves, quads and glutes! Now that I read that back, maybe it sounds like I’m some sort of hard-bodied fitness freak, but no – I’m a normal mum just like you. I have jiggly bits and I can’t wear skinny jeans!
- I have learnt some great stretching techniques from a few Pilates classes and I can do them anywhere, on the furniture and with a rolled up towel. Google some and use them. Even when you’ve had a massive day and you’re super tired, you can still fit in 15 mins of good quality stretching and call that exercise. Yes, it DOES count.
- Wii Fit and Wii Fit Plus and EA Sports for Wii. You will truly be surprised at how much of a work out those games are. Tightrope walking, Yoga, Hula Hooping, Jogging, Tennis – I’ve done them all and they are hard work! I especially enjoy trying to beat the kid’s highest scores while they are at school!
- From Clark Rubber stores, you can get resistance bands which you can use for all sorts of leg, arm and core exercises. Google for tips. While you’re there, see if they’ve got a Swiss fit ball – those big balls are useful for all sorts of activities and are super fun for the kids when not in use by you!
- Walk when everyone else is driving or sitting. When we have a family dinner at my in-laws, I’ll take my runners and exercise gear and walk home. Or while my hubby and kids are playing on the shore at the beach, I’ll hit the sand for a long, brisk walk.