I have heard of people furnishing whole houses from roadside collections.
Here are 5 questions to ask yourself when you pull up to that ‘Aladdin’s pile of magical junk’.
1. Can you use it now? Stop thinking ‘it could be useful one day’ as it will end up back on YOUR front roadside collection in the next couple of months (if it has’t already made a nuisance of itself in your house, garage or shed).
2. Is it going to cost more to fix than it is really worth? Rarely you will find an antique that will triple its value with your love and care.
3. Does the timber have bugs? Be careful of hidden termites or diseases that natural materials can infect your home.
4. Does my Mum really need it? Don’t pick up something for some else unless they have been talking about this ‘little gem’ religiously as you could end up with yes, finding it back on your nature strip.
5. Is their trash really my treasure? We all get excited by a bargain, but even more when something is free but take a good look at it and have think why the original owners would have thrown it out.
Remember, NOT everyone’s trash, will be a treasure
Shaynna Blaze – http://shaynnablaze.com/