Pikelets – 5 ways
A guest post by Melissa from MJS_Virtual
1 cup self-raising flour
½ teaspoon Bicarbonate Soda
2 tablespoons caster sugar
1 cup milk
butter – for greasing pan
- Sift self raising flour, Bicarbonate Soda and caster sugar together and make a well in the centre.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg and milk together and then pour into the well you made in the dry ingredients.
- Mix slowly until you have a smooth batter.
- Heat frypan and lightly grease with butter.
- Drop tablespoons of mixture into the pan but be careful not to crowd or turning will become difficult. Cook for one minute until bubbles appear and then flip. Cook briefly until cooked through and remove from pan. Continue with remaining mixture.
Tip: When dropping mixture into frypan, drop from the tip of the tablespoon to achieve nice round pikelets.
- Jam & Cream. Serve with jam and whipped cream
- Banana. Add one mashed banana at the end of step 2.
- Strawberry and Chocolate. Add five mashed strawberries and ½ cup chocolate chips at the end of step 2.
- Apple and Sultana. Add one grated apple and ½ cup sultanas at the end of step 2.
- Christmas. Split the finished mixture into two batches. Add a drop of green food colouring to one batch, and a drop of red food colouring to the second batch. Mix each mixture well. Add metal, greased Christmas shaped cookie cutters to the pan and pour mixture into these. Continue to cook as directed above.