5 Fun Games from “When I was a girl”
A guest post by Melissa from MJS_Virtual
Remember all those fun games we used to play as kids, before the invention of the internet and pay TV? Thinking back to when I was a girl, these were firm favourites:
1. Running under the sprinkler. There’s nothing better on a hot day than water play. Remember to cover up with a hat and sunscreen and be mindful of water restrictions in your local area – if you can’t run the sprinkler, try watering cans and water pistols.
2. Hide and seek. This was a big one in our house growing up. Close your eyes and count to 20 while your child hides, then shout “Ready or not, here I come,” and seek them out. Hear the squeals of delight once you’ve found them and then reverse, with you hiding and them seeking you out.
3. Bike riding. Get both sides of the brain working by hitting the pavement on a family bike ride.
4. Hop Scotch. As kids we spent many an afternoon drawing chalk patterns in the backyard, tossing our buttons and hopping back and forth and I’ve been reliving this recently while teaching my son to play. Click here for instructions on how to play and some great patterns.
5. Make a time capsule. Use a water-tight jar or container and let your children fill with items of importance to them. Think items like photos, drawings or paintings, birthday cards, certificates and anything else of importance to your family. Then bury in your backyard ready to dig up a few years in the future.
What are some games from when you were a girl/boy?